Friday, June 25, 2010

my new "weekly"

kay so I am a little later than I said I would be, but I am going to try doing something "new." I think I am going to do a spiritual post each week. You don't have to read it, I just want to have this where my kids can see that I do have a testimony. And I hope it will help me apply the things that I read into my life if I document my insights. I have been trying really hard to read one article from the Ensign each night, as well as some scriptures. I only have the conference issue of the ensign so I am going to share some feelings and excerpts from one of the conference talks that touched me. I have had a discussion about this particular subject with different people.. so I will just preface it by saying that I will share my opinions and feelings I have for MY life and family, and I respect that others have their own for their lives. I have read the talk my Elder L. Tom Perry titled "Mothers Teaching Children in the Home" many times. He speaks about how his mom would prepare to teach Relief Society and practice on her kids. He also says that his mom never allowed an idle moment because she was constantly exercising their minds, even during physical labor. wow.. does that mean that they didn't watch TV?? He did make me feel a LITTLE better when he said that times are different now than they were back then, so parents now have other ways to teach- there's my justification! jk My main thought in my head while reading this is about how Bailee is going to school this fall and there is such a controversy about whether public schools are "good enough" (for lack of a better way to put it) for our kids. I understand both arguments, but the feeling I get in this article is that no, they aren't. Public school ALONE is not good enough for our kids. but that doesn't mean we need to send them to private schools or hound our kid's teachers telling them that their curriculum or teaching methods our not enough. It means we, as parents, need to step it up in the home. Send them to whatever school you want to, but the responsibility is on US. Home schooling is an option, but I am a firm believer that I survived public school and I learned A LOT in school that I am sure I would not have learned at home. And that has NOTHING to do with how my mom was. She was and is an amazing example and I am constantly wondering.. "what did my mom do in this situation.."I have completely gone off on a tangent.. umm Elder Perry said "Parents must resolve that teaching in the home is a most sacred and important responsibility. While other institutions, such as church and school, can assist parents to 'train up a child in the way he [or she] should go,' ultimately this responsibility rests with parents. " So I figure, I will send my kids to the school they are supposed to go.. no matter what curriculum they are teaching, who their teacher is, or where the school is located. And I will think of that school as an "outline" in my child's learning path. Then, hopefully I will apply what Elder Perry's mom did- "My siblings and I were quizzed very carefully by our mother after we had been taught away from the home to be certain the correct lessons were reaching our ears and shaping our minds." He went on to explain that he would come home from school thinking he was through with learning for the day, but would see his mother and knew that more was coming. I heard the argument a couple times that their child will be at school for 8 hours and then come home and the parent has only another few hours to teach them the things they want them to know. Sooo they are assuming, then, that the child is just doing nothing at school for those 8 hours? Maybe I am not putting enough energy into my child's education, but I really have the faith that if I do the best I can at following the Proclomation to the World by "rear their children in love and reighteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of god, and be law abiding citizens," then the rest of the knowledge they need to learn in school or at home, will come to them in due time. I will follow promptings on what they need to know at what time and I am sure they will ask questions that will lead into a learning experience whether it was in my planned lesson or not. well there is my soapbox. I don't think the others will involve such "political" issues. but this has been on my mind since Bailee is at that age. I spoke with Dan and said "Are we bad parents because we are not worked up about all these little facts about the school Bai is going to, or what her teacher is going to be teaching?" and then I read this that night. And I was reassured that I have the control at home. That will make the difference as to what will go on in her mind. okay.. i am done now. promise.

6 comments:

Dave said...

In my opinion, there is no need to apologize! Great job, and thanks for sharing your insights.

Dave

Kelsie Thueson said...

I agree! Your kids are YOUR kids. They were sent to your house and your family for a reason. You know what's best for them. If you do all you can to teach them correct principles of life and of the Gospel, then everything will work out. Your heart is in the right place. I think you're a GREAT mom and I look up to you a lot! Thanks for your thoughts!

Lindsey said...

I think it is the teacher in you! I go through these same arguments with friends and family. I feel like public school is fine, because I know that is NOT the only education my baby will be receiving. I think so many parents these days believe teachers are supposed to teach everything, and the parents are to do very little! I really think that things will work out just fine!

Jaimee said...

I totally needed to read these words. You are such an amazing mom- I aspire to be more like you... thank you so much for sharing this... I look forward to your posts. Love and miss you guys more than you know!

the cole family said...

i couldn't agree more with what you said! it all begins in the home. any "problems" with the school system all begin at home.

Kathie said...

I completely agree. I think a lot of the controversy comes from parents who want teachers at school and church to do all the teaching. It is our responsibility to teach our children what they need to know. THanks Janelle! love you!

My pretty little butterfly

My pretty little butterfly
sorry it is not at all centered...

cleaning out the closet

cleaning out the closet
It was so fun for her to find old things in our closet that had been "missing"

You've gotta love her!

You've gotta love her!

Bailee-isms

  • 12/20/08 We were at the annual Case Christmas party. Grandma Betty and Grandpa Dwayne were nice enough to buy us Sizzler lunch and then had a program at their home. Before I tell the story, I need to clarify that Grandma Betty is from England and still has her accent - which I love! Bailee wanted to ride in Grandma Betty and Grandpa Dwayne's car from Sizzler but we told her no since her car seat was already in ours. Bailee: "I just want to go with them because I love them so much." Grandma Sue : " I know, and they love you, too." Bailee: "But Grandma Betty says it weiood" (wierd without the "r" sound)
  • 11/10/08 We were "puppy sitting" for Dave and Sue overnight so they could spend a night in Midway. Part of Bailee's bedtime routine is that she gets to have "snuggle-wuggles" right before bed every night. Snuggle wuggles started as being a Backyardigans show but has evolved to being a choice between playing make believe with toys, a show, or something else she really wants to do before bed. Well this particular night I gave her the choice between Dragon Tales or going to the store with me and she chose the show. When it was over and I said it was time to brush teeth and go to bed, she started to cry and throw one of her tantrums. She said she wanted to go to the store with me, I then reminded her that she chose the show over going to the store. She replied very seriously that when she chose the show, she was just teasing me. Very smart response.. it didn't fly and she was not a happy girl going to bed that night
  • 11/12/08 We were driving home from Dave and Sue's and Bailee said "What does 'age' mean?" Dan and I weren't quite sure what she said, so we asked her to repeat it and she did. We still weren't sure if she said "H" or "age." Usually she can explain what she is saying by thinking of another word or saying it in a sentence. We asked her to say it in a sentence or tell us when and how she heard it. She stammered a little, then said "You know, like my feet are big." Dan and I tried very hard not to laugh and she finally said "Like I am a big girl." So then I said.. "Okay, you mean 'age'. That is like how old you are, so your age would be 3. When someone asks you what your age is, you would say 3." So Dan said "Yeah. It is like someone asking you how old you are. What are you going to say when someone asks you what your age is?" and Bailee said, "That I am a big girl!" Maybe you had to be there or it was pretty late, but it was very funny.
  • Grandma Sue bought a doctors kit for the grandkids. It came with a couple of cards that showed what to do with the "tools" - kind of like directions. When we were cleaning up all the parts to it, Bai couldn't find the cards and she was saying over and over.. "where are the indirections? " I think she was mixing up the words "instructions" and "directions." It is very cute that her vocabulary is growing so fast that she just has a ton of information to sort through. I am biased, but I definitely think she is a smartie!
  • Bailee was trying to get Dan to fill up her aqua-doodle pen with water so she could color on her mat, but apparently Dan wasn't jumping on the task. He continued to get ready for work and gather his things when Bailee said very demandingly "Dad, when you are all done with this world stuff, will you please fill this up with water?!" It definitely got his attention and he filled it up with water and she went on her way.
  • Bailee was talking with her cousin, Aliyah, and her grandma Packer about places they have been and things they have seen. My mom brought up that Aliyah was in a whale's mouth at Storybook land and Bai was in a shark's mouth in Disneyworld. They were laughing about that and my mom said, "Weren't you scared in the mouth?" and Bailee looked at my mom with her index finger pointed at her and said, " Remember grandma, those things are just PRETEND!" My mom thought it was very cute how Bailee was trying to comfort her on the scary pretend things that are out there.
  • Bailee is pretty much a vegetarian and refuses to eat meat - except for chicken nuggets and taco soup). In colorado, they took out a lunchable jr. and she wouldn't eat the meat. Well, someone told her that the meat would make her jump higher. She had a couple bites of the meat and walked away. Sue asked "Did you like it?" and Bai said "yeah, I am going to see if I can jump higher now, though." She jumped and everyone cheered - Maybe she will continue to eat meat and end up in the olympics!
  • Bailee was riding home from a dinner in the back seat of papa Dave and grandma Sue's car. Her uncle Andy was sitting next to her talking to her when the sun came shining into the car all of a sudden and her grandparents both burst into song "Here Comes the Sun, do do do do.." Uncle Andy then whispered to Bai "Grandma and Grandpa are getting old." and bailee replied, "Grandma's not old, but Papa is."
  • Being the great English buff that he is, Bailee's uncle Jason was trying to enhance Bailee's vocabulary by teaching her some new words. One of the words was "plump." He told her about having a nice, big, juicy, plump apple. Then he went on to explain that it meant "big." Bailee then was able to catch on and said, "Like you, uncle Jason?"
  • When Bailee says prayers, she really lets Heavenly Father into her heart. She has said things like, "please bless that I can watch a movie tomorrow. Please bless that I can get tinkerbell makeup at the store. Please bless I can sleep the whole night in my bed. Please bless we will grow up healthy and go to heaven."
  • Bai was helping grandma Sue wrap some baptism gifts and asked her what they were for. Sue said that they were for her primary kids who were going to be baptized and when Bailee turned 8, she would also be baptized. Bai looked at grandma like she was out in the night and said " Oh, no, grandma, I am going to be a doctor when I grow up!"
  • We were leaving grandma Sue and papa Dave's so Bai went and hugged grandma and said "I love you, grandma." Dan told her to go and tell grandpa the same thing so she went and hugged grandpa and said " Papa, I love grandma."
  • Bailee thought her pee would be pink after she drank her strawberry milk. After I told her it would still be yellow or clear, she still had her hopes up. When we got home, she ran to the bathroom to go potty and we heard her disappointed voice come from the bathroom saying "Yep, it's still yellow."

Sweet Afton

Sweet Afton
She was such a trooper during the trip- she really is such a good baby!

What happens when a 3 year old is holding up a 6 month old for pictures...

She's still doin okay...

wooops !!!

making the cake

making the cake
well I guess she is not quite in the process of making it here - more posing

making/eating the frosting

making/eating the frosting

and eating the cake

and eating the cake
I think they purposely smeared it on their faces - i dont see how else they could have gotten that messy